Gallerist is a web application to browse libraries of Apple Photos and iPhoto. It is built on top of Sinatra.
- One or more Photos or iPhoto libraries (
- Ruby 2.2+
OS X 10.9 and above ship with Ruby 2.0. You can use Homebrew to install a current Ruby version on older versions of OS X.
Gallerist can be simply installed as a Ruby gem.
$ gem install gallerist
Note: You might need to use
sudo if you’re installing into your system
Ruby, e.g. when not using rbenv or RVM.
If you want to run the current development code please use Git to clone the repository.
$ bin/gallerist ~/Pictures/Photos\ Library.photoslibrary
After that the application is served on port 9292 by default. You can open it
by simply browsing to
Further command-line arguments are available, see
gallerist --help for more
- iPhoto libraries work to a certain degree as iPhoto’s events are not listed, only albums.
- Gallerist works on a copy of the library databases, i.e. changes to the original library will not be reflected instantly. You will have to restart the web app first.
- Support for internal categories like photo stream and videos
- Support for moments and places
- Performance improvements