Sets the current locale of a request using a combination of params, cookies, http headers, and an optional user object.
In turn, it checks the value of
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE headers to find a locale that
corresponds to the available locales, then stores the locale in a cookie for future requests. If a
is provided, any valid return value will be used, with preference over the other locale detection methods except for
Include the gem in your Gemfile
Set your default and available locales
I18n.default_locale = :en I18n.available_locales = [:en, :fr]
To support user locales, add a
class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base def user_locale current_user.locale if current_user end end
Methods for accessing
alternate_locales are available in controller and views
Configuration is done via a block that can be added as an initializer:
RailsLocaleDetection.config do |config| config.locale_expiry = 3.months config.set_default_url_option = :always # valid values are true, false, :always, :never and :explicity config.detection_order = [:param, :user, :cookie, :request] config.automatically_detect = true config.locale_key = :locale end
The configuration options:
locale_expirysets how long the locale cookie lasts.
set_default_url_optiondetermines under which conditions the
:alwayssets the option on all requests
:nevernever sets the option
:explicitysets the option only when a param[:locale] is present
detection_orderset the order in which locale detection occurs. Omit values to skip those sources
automatically_detectconfigures automatic inclusion of the detection callback. You can set this to false and include the callback yourself by calling
detect_localein your controller as required.
locale_keyconfigures the key used for
- Update dependencies
- Cookie is now set only when the locale differs from the previous value, to avoid Set-Cookie headers being sent with every request
- Rails 5 compatibility
- Rails 4 compatibility
- Namespace has been changed from Rails::LocaleDetection to RailsLocaleDetection, although the previous namespace is still supported for legacy config files
- Locale detection has been moved to a seperate object, to avoid polluting controllers with extra methods.
- Detection order has been changed to
paramfirst, as this make more sense in most contexts.
- Shortcut locale accessors are now mixed into views as well
Contributing to rails_locale_detection
- Check out the latest master to make sure the feature hasn't been implemented or the bug hasn't been fixed yet
- Check out the issue tracker to make sure someone already hasn't requested it and/or contributed it
- Fork the project
- Start a feature/bugfix branch
- Commit and push until you are happy with your contribution
- Make sure to add tests for it. This is important so I don't break it in a future version unintentionally.
- Please try not to mess with the Rakefile, version, or history. If you want to have your own version, or is otherwise necessary, that is fine, but please isolate to its own commit so I can cherry-pick around it.
Copyright (c) 2012-present Mateo Murphy. See LICENSE.txt for further details.