What is RethinkDB?
- Open-source database for building realtime web applications
- NoSQL database that stores schemaless JSON documents
- Distributed database that is easy to scale
- High availability database with automatic failover and robust fault tolerance
RethinkDB is the first open-source scalable database built for realtime applications. It exposes a new database access model, in which the developer can tell the database to continuously push updated query results to applications without polling for changes. RethinkDB allows developers to build scalable realtime apps in a fraction of the time with less effort.
To learn more, check out rethinkdb.com.
Not sure what types of projects RethinkDB can help you build? Here are a few examples:
- Build a realtime liveblog with RethinkDB and PubNub
- Create a collaborative photo sharing whiteboard
- Build an IRC bot in Go with RethinkDB changefeeds
- Look at cats on Instagram in realtime
- Watch how Platzi uses RethinkDB to educate
For a thirty-second RethinkDB quickstart, check out rethinkdb.com/docs/quickstart.
Or, get started right away with our ten-minute guide in these languages:
Besides our four official drivers, we also have many third-party drivers supported by the RethinkDB community. Here are a few of them:
- C#/.NET: RethinkDb.Driver, rethinkdb-net
- C++: librethinkdbxx
- Clojure: clj-rethinkdb
- Elixir: rethinkdb-elixir
- Go: GoRethink
- Haskell: haskell-rethinkdb
- PHP: php-rql
- Rust: reql
- Scala: rethink-scala
First install some dependencies. For example, on Ubuntu or Debian:
sudo apt-get install build-essential protobuf-compiler \
# python \ # for older distros
python3 python-is-python3 \
libprotobuf-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev \
libncurses5-dev libjemalloc-dev wget m4 g++ libssl-dev
Generally, you will need
- GCC or Clang
- Protocol Buffers
- Python 2 or Python 3
- libcrypto (OpenSSL)
Then, to build:
# or run ./configure --allow-fetch CXX=clang++
# or run make -j4 DEBUG=1
sudo make install
# or run ./build/debug_clang/rethinkdb
See WINDOWS.md and mk/README.md for build instructions for Windows and FreeBSD.
A great place to start is rethinkdb.com/community. Here you can find out how to ask us questions, reach out to us, or report an issue. You'll be able to find all the places we frequent online and at which conference or meetups you might be able to meet us next.
RethinkDB was built by a dedicated team, but it wouldn't have been possible without the support and contributions of hundreds of people from all over the world. We could use your help too! Check out our contributing guidelines to get started.
- Digital Ocean provides infrastructure and servers needed for serving mission-critical sites like download.rethinkdb.com or update.rethinkdb.com
- Atlassian provides OSS license to be able to handle internal tickets like vulnerability issues
- Netlify OSS license to be able to migrate rethinkdb.com
- DNSimple provides DNS services for the RethinkDB project
- ZeroTier sponsored the development of per-table configurable write aggregation including the ability to set write delay to infinite to create a memory-only table (PR #6392)
RethinkDB is licensed by the Linux Foundation under the open-source Apache 2.0 license. Portions of the software are licensed by Google and others and used with permission or subject to their respective license agreements.