Platform independent realtime MIDI input and output for Ruby.
Also see MicroMIDI which builds a full MIDI messaging DSL on top of this library.
- Supports Linux, JRuby, OSX, Windows and Cygwin
- No compilation required
- Both input and output to and from multiple devices concurrently
- Generalized handling of different MIDI and SysEx Message types
- (OSX Only) Use IAC to internally route MIDI to other programs
Using Ruby 1.9.2 or JRuby 1.6.1 (or newer) is strongly recommended. JRuby should be run in 1.9 mode where applicable
UniMIDI uses one of the following libraries, depending on which platform you're using it on. The necessary library should install automatically with the unimidi gem.
If you're using Bundler, add this line to your application's Gemfile:
gem install unimidi
In addition, some examples are included with the library
UniMIDI includes a set of tests which assume that an output is connected to an input. You will be asked to select which input and output as the test is run.
The tests can be run using
See below for additional notes on testing with JRuby
Platform Specific Notes
- You must be in 1.9 mode. This is normally accomplished by passing --1.9 to JRuby at the command line. For testing in 1.9 mode, use
jruby --1.9 -S rake test
- javax.sound has some documented issues with SysEx messages in some versions OSX Snow Leopard which do affect this library.
- libasound and libasound-dev packages are required
Ari Russo <ari.russo at gmail.com>
Apache 2.0, See the file LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2010-2017 Ari Russo