Zabel, is a build cacher for Xcode, using Xcodeproj and MD5, to detect and cache products for targets. Designed for CI by now. Zabel is not Bazel.
WARNING: BE CAREFUL IN PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT.
- Advanced usage
- Code of Conduct
- only support Cocoapods targets now
- support bundle / a / framework
- support C / C++ / Objective-C / Objective-C++ / Swift
- support Cocoapods option use_frameworks! :linkage => :dynamic and not
- support Cocoapods option use_frameworks! :linkage => :static and not
- support Cocoapods option use_modular_headers and not
- support Cocoapods option generate_multiple_pod_projects and not
- support prefix header and precompile prefix header
- support XCFrameworks
- support modulemap
- support development pods
- support different build path
- support dependent files and implicit dependent targets
- support xcodebuild build or archive
- support fastlane build or archive
- support legacy or new build system
Please use Ruby 2.x.
Add this line to your application's Gemfile:
source "https://rubygems.org" gem 'zabel'
And then execute:
Or install in local path:
$ bundle install --path vendor/bundle
Or install it yourself as:
$ [sudo] gem install zabel
Simply add zabel before your xcodebuild/fastlane command. Please ensure that your command can work without zabel.
$ [bundle exec] zabel xcodebuild/fastlane ...
You can controll your cache keys, which can be more or less. Please ensure that your arguments are same in pre and post.
$ [bundle exec] zabel pre -configuration Debug ... $ xcodebuild/fastlane ... $ [bundle exec] zabel post -configuration Debug ...
Importantly, configuration argument must be set with zabel.
You can customize some options by yourself.
Zabel stores caches in
~/zabel by default. You can change this path.
$ export ZABEL_CACHE_ROOT=xxx
Zabel uses LRU to clear unuse old caches, to keep max count with 10000 by default. You can change this number.
$ export ZABEL_CACHE_COUNT=12345
Zable caches targets which count of source files is greater than or equal 1 by default. You can set this value to 0 or more than 1 to achieve higher total speed.
$ export ZABEL_MIN_SOURCE_FILE_COUNT=10
Zabel detects module map dependecy by default. However, there are bugs of xcodebuild or swift-frontend, which emits unnecessary, incorrect and even cycle modulemap dependencies. Cycle dependency targets will be miss every time. To test by run "ruby test/one.rb test/todo/modulemap_file/Podfile". You can disable this feature.
$ export ZABEL_NOT_DETECT_MODULE_MAP_DEPENDENCY=YES
- 1.0.5 fix script error
- 1.0.4 optimize spec checksums; optimize output log; use CACHE_VERSION; should not cache if dependency error
- 1.0.3 support bundle install
- 1.0.2 support legacy build system
- 1.0.1 support xcodebuild archive and fastlane
After checking out the repo, run
bin/setup to install dependencies. You can also run
bin/console for an interactive prompt that will allow you to experiment.
To install this gem onto your local machine, run
bundle exec rake install. To release a new version, update the version number in
version.rb, and then run
bundle exec rake release, which will create a git tag for the version, push git commits and tags, and push the
.gem file to rubygems.org.
# test all cases ruby test/all.rb # test one case ruby test/one.rb test/case/simple/Podfile # test one todo case ruby test/one.rb test/todo/modulemap_file/Podfile
Bug reports and pull requests are welcome on GitHub at https://github.com/WeijunDeng/Zabel. This project is intended to be a safe, welcoming space for collaboration, and contributors are expected to adhere to the Contributor Covenant code of conduct.
The gem is available as open source under the terms of the MIT License.
Code of Conduct
Everyone interacting in the Zabel project’s codebases, issue trackers, chat rooms and mailing lists is expected to follow the code of conduct.
Q: Must I set configuration ?
A: Yes, for now.
Q: How to define a cache hit ?
A: A target cache will be hit only when it matches all arguments, settings, sources and dependencies.
Q: What will happen if a cache is hit ?
A: Firstly, PBXHeadersBuildPhase and PBXSourcesBuildPhase and PBXResourcesBuildPhase of a target will be deleted to disable build. Secondly, scripts to extract cache product will be added.
Q: What about scripts ?
A: All original PBXCopyFilesBuildPhase or PBXFrameworksBuildPhase or PBXShellScriptBuildPhase will not be deleted or changed. At most time, they did not take much time. However, they are difficult to be cached.
Q: What about dependencies ?
A: Simple dependent files (headers) and implicit dependent targets will be detected. If dependent files of a target change, this target will be recompiled. If dependent targets of a target miss cache, this target and dependent targets will be recompiled.
- support more projects and targets, not only Pods
- support and test more clang arguments
- support intermediate cache such as .o and .gcno
- try to support local development
- try to support remote cache server