Authorization gem for Ruby on Rails with Management Panel
Semantic. Flexible. Lightweight
Strongly recommended to upgrade from TheRole2 to TheRole3. Please, do it ASAP.
TheRole is an authorization library for Ruby on Rails which restricts what resources a given user is allowed to access. All permissions are defined in with 2-level-hash, and stored in the database as a JSON string.
Using hashes, makes role system extremely easy to configure and use
- Any Role is a two-level hash, consisting of the sections and nested rules
- A Section may be associated with a controller name
- A Rule may be associated with an action name
- A Section can have many rules
- A Rule can be true or false
- Sections and nested Rules provide an ACL (Access Control List)
Import/Export operations provided via TheRole Management Panel. If you have 2 Rails apps, based on TheRole - you can move roles between them via export/import abilities of TheRole Management Panel. It can be usefull for Rails apps based on one engine.
Limitations by Design
TheRole uses few conventions over configuration. It gives simplicity of code, but also some limitations. You have to know about them before using of TheRole: Limitations list
We need your feedback!
If you have to say something about TheRole, or if you need help, there are few ways to contact us:
- SKYPE: ilya.killich
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TWITTER: @iam_teacher
- Hash tag: #the_role
- Google group: about the_role
- RAILS: 3.2.21, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2
- RUBY: 1.9.3, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2
- DB: sqlite, mysql, postgresql
totally: 48 environments